Keto Zucchini (Courgette) Stuffed Ravioli
Using zucchini is a great alternative to pasta and a lot healthier. This is a delicious hearty recipe, where you can play around with fillings and herbs and it's a low carb dinner.Me being a vegetarian also a new mum wanting to get rid of the baby belly, i wondered what i like to eat and transform it into something healthy, nice and filling. Because of the water in most of the products i felt full a lot quicker and really satisfied with the flavours.I used mozzarella and cream cheese but feel free to switch them up with your favourite cheeses and herbs.I definitely am not a culinary master and my recipe might not always look as pretty as you see on Pinterest, but they are made with love and lots of flavour. Also in the little free time when the baby is sleeping. So that what i like about this recipe, it is very quick. All you do is peel some zucchini into strips, fill them with desired fillings and fold them into parcels. Then add some herbs to your marinara/tomato sauce and place the parcels on top, grate some cheese and bake. They are lovely even when cold
- 2 small zucchini (courgettes) peeled into strips lenghtwise
- 100 g cheddar grated
- 125 g fresh mozzarella you can put more or less
- 150 g cream cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dill
- 400 g chopped tomatoes marinara sauce or passata can be used
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp mixed herbs or italian herbs
- Trim the ends from the zucchini and discard, use a vegetable peeler to peel the zucchini into strips, lenghtwise. Don't worry if a stip breaks, you can always use it to layer another broken one when assembling.
- They should look something like that. Sprinkle them with salt and let them sit for 20 minutes. We do that to remove the excess water from the zucchini. Dab with paper towel to remove salt and water.
To make the filling
- Put the cream cheese into a bowl, then add garlic powder and dill, mix well.
- Grate the fresh mozzarella into the same bowl as the cream cheese mixture, mix well again.
- Pour the tomatoes you have chosen into a baking dish. Add the herbs (basil, mixed herbs, salt, garlic powder) of your choice and mix.
- Place a zucchini strip on a chopping board, take another zucchini strip and place it on the zucchini strip to make a cross. Dollop a teaspoon mozzarella/cream cheese filling in the centre of the zucchini “cross”.
- Gently fold each side to seal the cheese mixture then flip over the ravioli so the seam side is on the bottom.
- Depending on the size of your zucchini repeat the step above and make 12 parcels.
- Place the parcels on top of the marinara sauce.
- Grate cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake in preheated oven on 200C/400F for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly and golden.
I made 12 parcels, but they can be more or less depending on the size of your zuccini. if you want bigger parcels, place 2 zucchini strips horizontally overlapping each other, then put two more across.
Low carb ravioli filling suggestions:
- Ricotta cheese & spinach
- Ricotta cheese and chicken
- Cottage Cheese and herbs
- Spinach & Mushrooms
- Ham and Mushrooms
- Ham and Cheese
- Different mixture of cheeses